NAAJA has the largest criminal law practice in the Northern Territory with offices in Darwin and Katherine. NAAJA’s criminal law section consists of dedicated and passionate lawyers and highly professional Aboriginal paralegal staff.
Our Criminal Law Practice represents clients:
- On criminal charges in the Youth Justice Court, Court of Summary Jurisdiction (Magistrates Court), and Supreme Court;
- The Court of Criminal Appeal; and
- In some circumstances, the High Court of Australia.
NAAJA attends Bush Courts in:
- Darwin Region – Milikapiti (Snake Bay), Nguiu, Maningrida, Oenpelli (Gumbalanya), Jabiru, Daly River and Wadeye (Port Keats).
- Katherine Region – Barunga, Ngukurr, Timber Creek, Borroloola, Kalgarindji and Lajamanu.
We also provide:
- Legal advice over the phone or face to face about criminal charges or police investigations; and
- 24 hour legal advice when people are arrested or taken into police custody. If you get picked up by police you can ask them for the after hours telephone number and speak to a solicitor.
NAAJA also provides specialised services for vulnerable persons including:
- Young people
- Defendants with mental health issues and other disabilities
We strive to:
- Provide a culturally relevant legal service to Aboriginal people of the Northern Territory;
- Assist clients with interpreters in their language; and
- Advocate for change to laws, programs, policies that affect Aboriginal people in the criminal justice system.